Well, my 30 days is up. Here is what I learned while to trying to be the best me I could be:
- My happiness really has nothing to do with the number on the scale. I mean, don’t get me wrong, if I really let things get out of control it would bother me. But, if I am within 10 lbs. of my ultimate goal weight, I’m cool.
- It turns out you cannot have a fun-size candy bar every day for the month of October and lose weight. I know… shocker!
- I really hate cleaning! I really really do. And, the funny thing is, I don’t really care that much. Yes my house could be cleaner. Yes I could be more organized. But it turns out I can turn blind and satisfied eye to my clutter and still enjoy my day. I would much rather play with my kids, or play with my husband than clean. Perhaps if I had more ‘free’ time, I would feel better about designating time for chores, but until I do I will have a messy house but a happy home.
- I love helping out people that need it. I will say there was a point when I was at the grocery store and was worrying about money (because we don’t have a lot) and I remembered that I have never had to go to bed hungry or had to choose between feeding my kids and something else. I have always been able to put a winter coat on their backs. No matter how little you think you have, there is always someone with less. What can you sacrifice out of your current budget that may help someone else?
- Exercise makes me feel good, I know all the good things it does for my body, I enjoy it while I do it, and I still have a hard time getting it done. If I don’t have a plan, I will fail.
- Sitting around ‘pinning’ pictures of fit women with inspirational phrases does not make my ass tight. I know…shocker! I actually have to put the computer away and do some mother f*cking squats.
- Writing makes me happy. It always does. For me, there is nothing more soothing than sitting here talking to all of you. I can almost picture you while you are reading this and it makes me smile.
- This moment right now is when I am at my happiest: I am writing, drinking hot apple cider, I have pasta sauce on the stove, and I am listening to my baby snore away on the monitor (she is sick right now and therefore sounds like a middle aged man from Wisconsin). This is what makes me feel like ‘me’.
- I am so blessed in my life and in my love. Whenever I am not feeling like ‘me’, I need to take a step back and soak it all in. I need to take a step back and ask myself, “is what I’m doing right now, getting me closer to the ultimate dream for my life?”, or ”is what I am doing right now contributing to my future happiness?”, and “is what I am doing contributing to anyone else’s happiness, or is it just my own?”
I don’t know whether I would classify this month as a success. I didn’t reach a lot of my goals. I didn’t lose any weight. I didn’t get organized. But, I did gain a little perspective. I did enjoy sharing it with all of you. Thanks for listening and hopefully you took at least one positive away from all of my ramblings.